The second biggest district of the city, located in the north-east of Kiev neighborhood, it covers the total area of 148 sq.km. Officially in the area live 350 thousand inhabitants, but actually, it’s about half a million.
Desnianskyi district was allocated from the Dniprovskyi district as a separate one in 1987. During 14 years, until 2001, it bore the name Vatutinskyi district, named in honor of General Nikolai Vatutin. Through the district flows the river Desenka, thus, it received its name.
In times of Kievan Rus, there was a suburban palace with the estate of Prince Yuri Dolgoruky, which was called “Paradise“. It opened a wonderful landscape on the right bank of the Dnieper, embellished with golden vaults of Kiev cathedrals.
The first written reference to the land, on which Desnyanskiy district is located, belongs to 1667 – as the area presented to St. Michael’s Monastery, which was legally fixed in a law document of Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytskyi.
The district includes the notorious outskirt residential area “Troieshchyna“. Before 1988, it was a village of the Kiev region. The area suffers from inadequate transport links to the rest of the city. Kiev City authorities have at one point decided on extending the Kiev Metro system to Troieshchyna though the construction is still only on papers.
- Line 1«Lisova»
- Line 1«Chernigivska»