The name “Svyatoshino” has got its origin since the times of Kievan Rus of the 12th century and is associated with the name of Chernigiv Prince Svyatoslav Davidovich. These lands were his ancestral lands, which he had inherited by right. In his later years, Svyatoslav joined the monkhood with the name Nicholai, but the people called him “Sviatosha“, which means “a Holy Man“. Hence, obviously, the name of the land – Svyatoshinskiy, places of Sviatosha. So it runs in the Old-Russian Chronicle. The name Sviatoshino was mentioned in 1619, in the official document of the Polish king Sigizmund ΙΙΙ, who handed the lands over to Kiev commoners.
In the early 20th century Sviatoshyno – a dense pine grove – became a resort and villa where rich manufacturers and merchants retired. Health resorts and sanatoriums were built here. Sviatoshyn village officially became a part of Kiev in 1939. The length of the district is over 12 km. It includes 5 parks with total area 65,75 hectares. The district is considered to be one of the major scientific and industrial centers of the capital of Ukraine. There are 60 industrial enterprises, including Antonov aircraft manufacturing complex, 17 institutes of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 18 branch research institutes. In 1970, the neighborhood was connected to Kiev by metro.
- Line 1«Sviatoshyn»
- Line 1«Zhytomyrska»
- Line 1«Akademmistechko»