There is no city in the world that is more beautiful than Kiev
These are words of a prominent Ukrainian writer, the author of the most mystiс novel of the 20th century “Master and Margarita” Mikhail Bulgakov.
And I absolutely agree with it. There may be other cities in the world, much more comfortable, modern, beautiful, ancient. But Kiev differs from all of them.
It’s hard to say exactly what makes it so unique: ancient golden-domed cathedrals, magnificent architecture, green hills and blooming chestnut trees in spring or beautiful and hospitable citizens. Anyway, it is for sure one of the places in the world that must be visited at least once in a life.
It is impossible to tell about Kiev sights briefly. During the centuries that have passed since its emergence, new interesting architectural ensembles and historical monuments appeared.
Tourists almost do not need metro to get acquainted with the main sights of Kiev.
But what they really need are very sturdy legs. Exactly they will be the primary means of transportation along the central historical part of Kiev, which abounds with monuments and beautiful interesting place
Main Kiev Attractions:
- Kiev Pechersk Lavra The famous Orthodox monastery, one of the oldest and most important Old Russian monastery, the main place of religious worship for Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox, a unique architectural ensemble.
- St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery is one of the main temples of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kyiv Patriarchate. The monastery is devoted to the heavenly patron of the city – Archangel Michael. Built in the 11th century, but raised from ruins in the 20 century, it is considered to be one of the most honoured places among the pilgrims.
- Podol – the Lower Town is one of the most ancient and original areas of Kiev. Podol has got its name from its location (“podol” in Ukr. “downwards”), at the foot of Kiev hills, on the bank of the Dnieper river. Up to the present days, many architectural and historical sights have been preserved in Podol area. Here co-exist together ensembles of different epochs and styles – amazingly picturesque Ukrainian Baroque, Russian classicism, eclecticism, and modernism.
- St.Sophia Cathedral The first significant monument of Old Russian architecture was the Saint Sophia Cathedral in Kiev – the main Christian church of pre-Mongol Kievan Rus. Its building started during the reign of Yaroslav the Wise in 1017-1019’s. The Chronicles tell that the temple was built on the site of a battle between the Kievans and the Pechenegs, which ended in the complete defeat of the nomads. On the battlefield, in memory of the outstanding victory, Yaroslav the Wise founded a magnificent stone church in the name of Saint Sophia.
- Fairy landscape alley in Kiev Landscape Alley in Kiev – is one of the most popular places as for a tourist walk as well for a weekend stroll for Kievites.The park with fairytale characters appeared in 2008. Kiev sculptor Konstantin Skretutskiy filled this place with a new life, he put here fountains, long dark-blue cats-centipedes with wide smiles, benches in the form of fabulous little animals.
Amazing Kiev is waiting for you with your BestKievGuide !