Winter Holidays 2017 with Ukrainian folk traditions
For an entire month, between the two bell towers of the Saint Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery and St. Sophia’s Cathedral, in the very heart of the Kiev city will be held grand celebrations of farewell of the Old Year 2016 and coming New Year 2017.
A fabulous concert program, live music, entertainment areas for children and adults, Christmas wishes tunnel, an incredibly large number of photo zones – all these are waiting for Kievans and guests of the city.
This New year’s theme – Yavoriv fun!**
Christmas and New Year 2017 Celebration Program
19.12.2016 — 15.01.2017 Kiev
- 19.12.2016 – Grand opening of Ukraine’s Main Christmas Tree and New Year and Christmas fair.
Traditionally New Year and Christmas celebrations are accompanied by a festive fair at the St. Sophia’s Cathedral Square. There you will find souvenirs and a variety of food and warming drinks for every taste.In the grand event will participate National Academic Orchestra of Folk Instruments, Ukrainian pop stars, finalists of the show “The Voice 3”, show-ballet “Foresight”, Municipal Academic Male Choir, and others.
The official opening ceremony starts with congratulations of the Kyiv Mayor and state officials. St. Nicholas will meet all children in his house at St.Sophia’s square.
- 23.12.2016 (18:00 – 21:00) Friday festive concert.
Performances of jazz bands, orchestras, and choirs, Ukrainian young artists, winners of TV talent shows.
- 24.12.2016 (17:00 –21:00) Celebration of Catholic Christmas Saturday
Concert of singers and dancing groups with the participation of Kiev Academic Municipal Brass Band.
- 25.12.2016 (17:00 – 21:00) Sunday concert program of singers and dancing groups with the participation of State Academic Jazz Orchestra ”Alex Fokin RadioBand ” with a non-stop program “DJazz”.
- 30.12.2016 (18.00 – 21.00) Festive concert with the participation of young artists, participants of TV talent shows dancing groups.
- 31.12.2016 (22:00 – 02:30) New Year Eve party.
The celebration of the New Year 2017 with a performance of State Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine with world and rock hits combined with DJ beats, performances of Ukrainian pop, jazz, folk stars.
- 01.01.2017 (17:00 – 21:00) Concert program with participation of State Academic symphony orchestra of Ukraine.
- 02.01.2017 (17:00 – 21:00) Concert of State Academic symphony orchestra of Ukraine.
- 07.01.2017 (12:00 – 17:00; 17:00 – 21:00) Orthodox Christmas Celebration with concerts.
Didukh*** parade and setting a record for the most mass singing of Christmas carols. Concert of authentic folk bands, pop singers, a performance of Academic Chamber Choir “Khreschatyk”.
- 08.01.2017 (17:00 – 21:00) Sunday concert program of progressive alternative Ukrainian music.
- 09.01.2017 (17:00 – 21:00) The performance with an orchestral show of Kyiv Municipal Academic Opera and Ballet Theater for Children and Youth.
- 13.01.2017 (18:00 – 21:00) Generous Evening and Malanka Holiday.
Concert with the participation of Ukrainian folk bands, pop, and rock singers, with the participation of Academic folklore-ethnographic ensemble “Kalyna” and municipal Chamber Choir ” Kiev”
- 14.01.2017 (17:00 – 21:00) Orthodox Old New Year celebration.
Concert of young artists, participants of TV talent shows dancing groups.
- 15.01.2017 (17:00 – 20:00) Grand Closing of New Year and Christmas Festival with a performance of Kyiv National Operetta Theatre.
* Possible changes and adjustments
** Yavoriv fun (namely – toy, but not actually a toy, because it comes from – amuse, entertain, soothe) – a unique experience in the folk decorative art of Ukraine. It has long been believed that Yavoriv toys have the ability to ward off all evil. They are not harmful to the health of children, as manufactured, exclusively from wood and are painted only of safe aniline dyes, which replaced vegetal dyes.
In Yavoriv town handicraft production of the wood, toys were launched in the 18th century and reached the highest rise in the mid-19th century.These toys decorated with traditional Yavoriv painting for which at the dawn of Yavoriv toys creation were used three colors: green (symbolizing grass and leaves), red (fruit and berries), blue (sky and water), and in the early 20th-century yellow (the Sun) color was added. The Yavoriv amuse worthily represents not only Western-Ukrainian art, but Ukraine in the whole world as well, and has become an important part of the national culture of the Ukrainian people).
***Didukh. Long before the Christmas, a host left the last wheat reaped sheaf (oats, rye) in the house. This was the most important wheat sheaf, “didukh” and the master of the house put it in the most honorable place in the chamber – in the corner under the icons. Then the owner says, “Give us Lord for happiness, health and for the Holy Christmas Eve.” Since pagan times it symbolizes the ancestral spirits that come to visit people at Christmas.