Ukrainian women always look neat and tidy, stylishly dressed (not in worn blouses or jeans with extended knees, as most West European and American women dressed). Ukrainian girls always look feminine. Kind, honest, caring, decent, loyal, loving, gentle, friendly – these traits of character are present in each of them – in varying degrees, depending on the mood, fatigue, and nerves. With a decent, faithful and loving husband who cares properly for his family and who helps around the house, to be a kind and tender wife is not difficult. Caring of husband and family is in the blood of Ukrainian and Russian women.
It is a well-known fact that Slavic women are the most beautiful, good-natured, and sincere. So many men from all over the world are looking through marriage agencies of Ukraine the faithful companion of life – a Slavic woman. But a special place in the ranking of the best wives takes Ukrainian women because it is difficult to exaggerate personal qualities of our charming girls and women.
Ukraine has always been interesting for the travelers all over the world who have left precious memories of the lives of our ancestors. Foreign travelers who recorded the smallest impressions and opinions about the Ukrainian way of life, could not help omitting Ukrainian women. Most of them were surprised by the temper and beauty of Ukrainian women. But you can also meet such unexpected characteristics: “Cossack women are very brave, like to drink some alcohol, and when it comes to work they ask their men to do it.”
Foreign travelers about Ukrainian women
“Both men and women wear boots and like vodka; even outstanding women do not hesitate to drink some vodka at fair trade; therefore it is no wonder that they have a greater desire to love affairs, “Ukrainian women are hardworking and a man are… lazy.”
Let’s look at greater length on how foreign travelers and scientists have seen Ukrainian women at different times and scientists.
- Interesting information about Ukraine gives Karl J. Hildebrandt – Member of the Swedish embassy to Hetman Bogdan Khmelnytsky, who visited Ukraine in 1556-1557 years. In his telling about Ukrainian everyday life, Hildebrandt describes in details clothing and customs of Ukrainian women. He writes that “their garments in winter were a long hood, without any other cover. In addition, around their lower part of the body they had a wide strip red weaved of wool.
- They are tightened with it so hard that body shapes are very obvious. However, in the front they tie an apron; they also wear boots and on their heads, they wear white cotton scarves; on the upper part of the body they wear laced (obviously embroidered) shirts without blouses. They dance very well, of course adjusting to husband’s steps, however, while dancing they behave light-mindedly and fervently. ” Also notes that ” Cossack women are very brave, they like to drink some alcohol, and when it comes to work they ask their men to do it.”
- Travelling around Poland and Ukraine traveller Ulrich von Werdum in years. 1670-1672 p. writes: In Lviv live so beautiful, delicate and seductive brides, that, after all, I have never met before on the Earth.
- “The peasant women wear shirts made of coarse linen, wealthy girls wear embroidered nankeen besides all body shapes can be seen so clearly as if they are naked. The upper part of the shirts around the neck is brought together in a circle and elegantly framed with coloured cotton.
- Their hips are tied with red, yellow, green or other colour belts and it looks so quite well. As for the decoration of the head, it is determined by the great accuracy. They decorate it with fresh summer flowers and green wreaths, in winter the girls must replace them with wax wreaths. There are also rings on their fingers and very large earrings and beads made of crystal, glass, copper, according to the imagination and finances.
- Extensive memories of Ukraine left Swedish serjeant Veiga. Describing in details Ukrainian clothes, among other things he noticed that women’s skirt was made of a thin woollen cloth of different colours, and it fitted to the body very tightly and perfectly shaped it.
- Petr Shalikov, Russian sentimentalist writer, journalist and publisher. (his work “Journey to Little Russia”, Moscow, 1803-1804), approaching the borders of Ukraine, in 1803, wrote:
“Having seen little Russia ( he means Ukraine), my eyes could not stop looking at the whitewashed cottages, neat clothes of the inhabitants, gentle sweet looks of attractive local women.” The author, describing the happy life and customs among the Ukrainian gentry, was surprised that next to the gentry he met at balls families of priests. “This fact — says Petr Shalikov — may indicate a degree of enlightenment: among the local priests and the way how they raise their children”.
- About Ukrainian women, he said: “In general women here are cute, almost all with “languid” and yet passionate eyes, in which mercy of the soul and heart is so evident. Nature has placed on their faces a sign of love and affection”. The behaviour of Ukrainian women is also different “this is not Moscow, not very soon the mistress of the house will invite you for a dinner, party or caress you.
- Vividly describes the life and appearance of the Ukrainians Izmaylov (“The Journey to the midday Russia, in letters”. Moscow, 1800). About family life, he writes that it is marked with a lot of love, respect, and trust: “the mutual love creates in their household the better harmony and order than the authority power and obedience which we, Russians, have…
Girls have free behaviour, each of them is beautiful, agile and attractive. They [the peasant girls] are slender and agile as for the peasants. The peasants developed a sense of ownership, and therefore there are no thefts here. Ukrainian women are hardworking while men are… lazy.”
- French physician De La Frieze in his “Notes” on his captivity in 1812, being in Chernihiv region, gives some information about Ukrainian customs. Enthusiastically describing Ukrainian folk dances, including ”Cossackok”, he says that “Ukrainian women performed the dance with such fineness and grace that they would for sure deserve applauses even on the Paris stage.”
- Out of the whole nineteenth century, perhaps the most interesting description of travel to Ukraine gives I. G. Kohl, his work under the title “Die Ukraine, Kleinrussland” (1841). Kohl, a prominent scientist, and traveller, founder of anthropogeography, travelled all over the whole Ukraine from Kharkov to Odessa, and from Odessa to Przemysl.
While saying that there are many flower-gardens in Ukrainian towns, he adds: “on Sundays, the girls go to these gardens, majestically decorate their heads with flowers like Princesses. Because even these slender Ukrainian girls love flowers so much that on weekdays, while working they decorate themselves and thus look like flower Fairies. And they love to sing and do it in such a way that you feel such emotions which you will hardly meet anywhere else. Women are engaged in a very hard work but they constantly sing like nightingales. And it is really hard to tell the reader in words this full of life picture!”
The material is based on the scientific work of Vladimir Sichinskiy “Foreigners about Ukraine.”
Looking for a Ukrainian wife is not an easy process! It may require from you some additional efforts, ingenuity, and caution.
If you don’t want to become a victim of Ukrainian brides scam, need some advice on how to attract a Ukrainian woman and wonder why Ukrainian women are so beautiful – look through my articles, I did my best for you!
with KR, Victoria
Your Best Kiev Guide